Liz's Writing Checklist
10 THINGS TO JUMP START YOUR WRITING
A WRITING CHECKLIST
The earlier you get organized the better and faster your writing will go. Here is a quick checklist of things that might be helpful to have to get you started and thinking about the writing process.
1. Comfortable, quiet, and a designated place to write.
2. Notepad, journal, or computer.
3. Pens, pencil, or highlighters (if you are writing by hand) which some of us still do before typing or having it typed into the computer or other electronic device.
4. Audio recorder (your phone, iPad, or Android Tablet or one from any electronic store) that contains any notes or thoughts you might have recorded and comments or insights others have shared during interviews.
5. Written notes or content from your own blogs, articles, seminars, marketing, or other materials you have previously created, written, or printed.
6. List of websites that have relevant information to the subject you are writing about.
7. Topical Resource Materials: newspaper articles, magazine articles, professional journals, the information you have printed off the Internet, other books on the subject.
8. Writing Resources Materials: general dictionary (Merriam-Webster’s, Cambridge, American, Oxford, etc.), industry or professional dictionary (medical, legal, business, technology, financial, cooking/food, travel, urban, foreign language, etc.) thesaurus, grammar or style handbook, book of words and add your own for your particular industry or genre.
9. Photographs, charts, graphs, artwork, images, products, or product packaging ... when or if you need them.
10. Healthy drinks or snacks to keep you sustained during your scheduled time for writing.